Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Baby = New Recipes


New baby. New recipes. They just seemed to go together.

When I arrived to start my week in GrandmaLand, Jill and I went through three magazines and chose several new recipes to try. After working my way through an unfamiliar grocery store, it was time to experiment.

Jill married a guy like her Dad. Eric is willing to try almost anything. That's a good quality to have in a husband. And in a son-in-law.

BBQ Chicken Pizza Roll-Up is from Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine. Even though it was featured as an appetizer, I made it as a main dish. I served it with a green salad, and it was a hit for supper. And there was enough for Eric to take to work for lunch the next day. Bonus!

BBQ Chicken Pizza Roll-Up
From Taste of Home's
Healthy Cooking magazine
December 2011/January 2012 issue

1 tube (13.8 oz.) refrigerated pizza crust
1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (opt.)
1 egg white
1 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

On a lightly floured surface, roll crust into a 12- by 9-inch rectangle. (I rolled the dough onto a piece of waxed paper and dusted it with flour. I then topped with another piece of waxed paper to roll out to the 12- by 9-inch shape. You can use the bottom waxed paper to make it easier to roll.) Brush with barbecue sauce. Layer with cheese, chicken, onion, cilantro and Italian seasoning (if desired).

Roll up jelly-roll style. Pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. (I used foil to ease clean-up.)

Beat egg white and water; brush over top. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly before cutting.

Notes:
The original recipe called for this to be served as an appetizer or snack, so it had you roll up from the long side. However, I was serving it as a main course, so I rolled it from the short side.

The original recipe said it made 2 dozen. I cut it into about 8 pieces, allowing 2 pieces per person.

I used about 1/2 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning. I might back it off to 1/4 teaspoon unless you're a huge fan of Italian seasoning. I didn't use the onion because I didn't want to use it raw. The next time I make this, I will either saute the onion to soften it before using or use green onion minced finely.

To make the shredded chicken, I put frozen chicken tenderloins in a glass 13- by 9-inch pan and drizzled with additional barbecue sauce. I topped it with plastic wrap. I microwaved it until the chicken was tender and then used two forks to shred it. So it had a little extra BBQ sauce than what was called for in the original recipe, but it was a tasty addition. You could use leftover chicken or part of a rotisserie chicken (if you live in a place that has that sort of thing)!

**
I'm linked today to Two Maids a Milking's recipe blog hop.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Pizza Roll up idea. BBQ Chicken sounds delicious. Instead of making a pizza pie I often make pockets. J and I love them. All the same dough and ingredients only in a pocket or a calzone.

    All women that have husbands who are not picky eaters need to realize how very lucky they truly are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely a recipe I will try again. When I make rolls, I always make more dough so that I can make "pockets" for the freezer. They were handy to have when our son was home for the holidays. And we like them, too.

    ReplyDelete