Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gussied-Up Green Bean Salad

This is NOT the old green bean salad you remember.  I must admit. I love that salad, too. You know the one: It has canned green beans, yellow wax beans, kidney beans and onion in a vinegary dressing.

But this one is the gussied-up version. It's perfect for using fresh green beans from your own garden or from the farmers' market.

Jill first tasted it at a baby shower for one of her college friends and asked for the recipe. Jamie's mom shared it with Jill, and Jill shared it with me.

Besides fresh green beans, it uses fresh dill. Dill makes me think of Grandma Neelly's garden and her dill pickles. I really must start an herb garden - even if it's just in a container. (And, no, I'm not planning on taking up canning, even though I do miss Grandma's pickles.)

Throw in some toasted pecans and creamy feta to "gussy it up." The first time I made the salad, I served it with rice pilaf and salmon, but it would be great with beef or chicken, too. I'm sure I'll get a chance to find out. I've already gotten more green beans and plan to make this salad again ... sooner rather than later!
Fresh Green Bean Salad
1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans
1/2 cup finely-diced purple onion
1/2 to 3/4 cup feta cheese (to taste)
1/2 cup toasted, coarsely chopped pecans

Dressing:
2/3 cup canola oil
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp. fresh dill
1/3 cup wine vinegar

Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients in a glass jar. Shake together to combine well.

Clean and trim green beans. Cook in boiling water for 4 minutes. Rinse with cold water, and pat dry. Combine beans with onion, feta and pecans. Just before serving, toss with dressing.

Note:  Jaime's mom used olive oil. However, I knew that I would have leftover salad. Olive oil sets up if refrigerated, so I used canola oil. The leftovers were great!



***
I'm linked today to Wake Up Wednesdays. Click on the link for more tested recipes from across the nation.

I'm also linked to the Country Fair Blog Party. Check out the links from these other rural writers:
Nicole of Tales of A Kansas Farm Mom on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment