Friday, December 5, 2014

Photo Finish

It came down to a photo finish. In this case, my photo, Blizzard Baby, earned second-place honors in the Faces of Agriculture division of the 2014 Kansas Farm Bureau annual photo contest.

There's prize money involved, which is definitely nice. But, more importantly to me, it recognizes my work. I spend a lot of time photographing life on our South Central Kansas farm. I share photos and information about our farming and animal husbandry practices on the blog, which I've been doing since January 2010.

But, as I often say, I'm no Pioneer Woman when it comes to blog followers or commenters. And that can get discouraging.

It doesn't take long for a blogger who is denigrating wheat producers' use of herbicides to have an army of people commenting on how farmers are too stupid to realize that big ag companies are brainwashing all of us. There's many a blogger or YouTube activist who wants us to keep cattle roaming pastures all year. (Never mind that there's no pasture for cattle to eat in much of the Plains during the winter months. Let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant.)

So, when my work is recognized, it does feel good. I enter the Farm Bureau contest every year. In 2008, I got a second-place trophy for this photo I took on the first sunrise after the massive December 2007 ice storm that knocked out our power for 12 days. But I hadn't had a winner since then.
There were three categories for the Kansas Farm Bureau contest this year. My other photos didn't place.

This one was entered in the Uh Oh Monday category. As I said on my entry, this calf decided to test the theory that the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, while the farmer objected to the experiment.
I entered a sunset photo of the Zenith branch of the Kanza Co-op in the Seasons of Agriculture category.
It's always hard for me to figure out which of the thousands of photos I take each year to enter. (What else is new? I've been having these butterfly-inducing dilemmas since I started entering things in the county 4-H fair or singing at music contests as a kid.)

To see the prize-winning photos from other Kansas photographers, click on this link to the Kansas Farm Bureau. Thanks Kansas Farm Bureau!

10 comments:

  1. I saw your photo and said. " I kinda "know" her, I follow her blog" Keep up the good blogging, I know how blogging can get discouraging, but keep plowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Kim. A very worthy placement indeed. I love your blog and your stunning photography. I really enjoy seeing your part of the world, from the other side of the world. And I am so looking forward to experiencing your winter via your photos whilst we are in the heat of our summer. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda! I love seeing your photos from Down Under. I don't think I've ever said, but my Mom has had a penpal from Australia since she was in grade school. They still exchange Christmas cards!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Kim that is so exciting. All Your photos are incredible and it is always nice to be recognized. Way to go keep it up. Prize money is nice:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing and learning about farming north of the border, too, Buttons! It's amazing to me what we all have in common.

      Delete
  4. Very nice photos! It's nice to have an honest voice in the ag field. People are so clueless it drives me bonkers!
    And prize money - nice! :)
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cheri, the prize money is icing on the cake - and I do love icing! Thanks for your encouraging words and your friendship across the miles.

      Delete
  5. Such nice rural shots. I can see how it would be mind boggling to pick just the right one. I usually enter my photos (only two each year) in the county fair. I have usually gotten blue but no money. I pushed Bob into entering last year for the first time and he got a special award. This year he didn't get the Special and wondered why not. Cracked me up!!
    Keep up the good work. MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually enter in the county fair, too. I always tell Randy that it's not a money-making enterprise, whether I get ribbons or not. By the time you pay for the enlargements and the mounting boards, it's a losing proposition. But, as I also say, people who come to the fair need something to look at. Thanks for taking time to comment!

      Delete