Friday, March 27, 2015

Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves

Meatloaf shouldn't be the punch line for a bad joke. Comedians are always bad-mouthing meatloaf. I think they are misguided. Or maybe they just haven't had the right meatloaf.

I recently tried a mini meatloaf recipe that Jill & Eric had recommended. Kinley wasn't sold, but she's 3. The recipe is from Iowa Girl Eats, one of Jill's and my favorite food blogs.

What makes it different than any other meatloaf recipe? Well, for one, it uses a recipe. I usually don't when it comes to meatloaf. Secondly, it uses caramelized onions in the mix. Kristen thinly sliced her onions, but Jill suggested chopping them, so that's what I did. The taste of the caramelized onions adds another whole layer of flavor. Thirdly, it incorporates sharp Cheddar cheese. Cheese makes everything better, in my book.

The meatloaves are shaped and put on a foil-covered baking sheet. Be sure and spray the foil with cooking spray for easy removal. Since the crunchy bits are my favorite part of meatloaf, I loved having extra "crispies" around each individual loaf. Yum! 

I doubled the recipe and put half of them in the freezer to pull out on a busy day. It also made enough for leftovers, always a winner in my book.

When I was a little girl, my mom usually make baked potatoes and baked beans to go along with meatloaf. I still love that combination. But this time, I served it with Brussels sprouts and crescent rolls from my freezer. These mini BBQ Meatloaves are yummy - no matter what you serve on the side!
Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves
Serves 4
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats blog

1 large sweet onion
1 tbsp. butter
Salt
1 lb. ground beef
1 egg, whisked
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. BBQ sauce, divided
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Pepper to taste
2 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

Chop onion and caramelize in butter in skillet, stirring every couple of minutes until onions are golden brown; don't burn. Set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce, panko bread crumbs, dash of pepper, cheese cubes and caramelized onions. Mix until just combined. Divide mixture into 4 equal-sized portions, then form into loaves on a foil-lined, nonstick-sprayed baking sheet. Spread 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce over each loaf. Bake for 20 minutes or until no longer pink in the center.

2 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner today, Kim. It was delicious and a recipe to keep. I didn't make the mini loaves, just one meatloaf. Thanks for finding and sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete